Thursday, October 05, 2006

Andrew Bolt Abused My Research: Climate Scientist

Thursday, 5 October 2006
Sophie Black
Crikey.com.au

Anti-global warming columnist Andrew Bolt’s recent column "Bulled by a Gore" forensically picked apart Al Gore’s film An Inconvenient Truth by scattering a number of references to studies by eminent scientists through his argument. But one of those scientists is now accusing Bolt of citing his research in a “gross distortion of scientific findings”.

Jeff Severinghaus, Professor of Geosciences at the University of California, San Diego, the misrepresented scientist in the article, wrote a letter to the editor of the Sunday Mail, but it was never published. He posted a comment on Bolt’s blog but told Crikey “...effectively I have not been able to make much if any response”.

“At the very least I would like it to go on record that Bolt's abuse of my science is not done with my approval,” says Severinghaus.

So is the professor sick of having his research misrepresented in the press? “My research actually mostly isn't misrepresented,” he told Crikey. “But it is sometimes misrepresented on climate-denialist websites. I suspect, though do not know, that Bolt got the info from a climate-denialists website.”

For the full article...

No comments: